Sunday 4 December 2011

A trip out

First of, Sheila says thank you to all those who sent her good wishes on the occasion of her not getting any older...

/blur

Today has generally gone to plan, in that we managed to drag ourselves out of bed in good time, despite being a bit Takey Tezey-ed last night. By ten past eight we were on the pump out, pumping out, and by 8.30 were heading out of the marina. At 8.32 Sanity Again stuck her bow onto the opposite towpath, and by 8.40 we'd managed to haul her round, Sheila with a bow line on the towpath, and your correspondent with a stern line on the off side, the wind having ensured that trying it any other way just meant blowing sideways down the cut until becoming wedged again.

Off we went at last, and at 8.50 we passed Ivor Batchelor walking his dogs along the towpath. If we'd been just ten minutes later getting going this morning, he'd have found us wrestling with the boat jammed across the cut, and the story would have been the length and breadth of the system with about 48 hours.

We stopped at Shobnall and had a conversation with Andy there about Boaters Phone Company adaptors for the Samsung Galaxy, Mark at BPC having recommended that we do so. All this demonstrated was that neither the Galaxy SII nor the Galaxy Europa antenna socket will take any of the currently available adaptors, so it's back to Mark on that one.

We did buy four bags of Mixed Ovals and a couple of bags of kindling, then plodded off again, getting to Branston just on twelve. I baked some baguettes whilst we discovered that a) the T-mobile signal doesn't support data here, and b) the old 3 MiFi modem had a flat battery.

Later on, after a restorative lunch, I got the new 3 Galaxy sorted as a WiFi hotspot, propping it in the side hatch to do so, since we can't use the external antenna on it. It's successful, as you can tell by the fact that you're reading this.

The weather has been seriously wet and windy this afternoon, but we're hoping it will dry up and calm down a bit tomorrow, long enough for us to get to Alrewas, anyway.

8 comments:

Nev Wells said...

Bruce,

Thanks for the honest account of getting out of the marina. Sometimes I feel like I am cheating when using a rope to wind....makes me feel better knowing the experts do the same....albeit with an extra 20 feet to deal with.

Nev

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Bruce

Did you read my post about obtaining a "pigtail" cable to connect the external aerial socket on my Samsung Galaxy S and the FME plug on my external aerial?

Oops... I assume you have looked inside the rear cover of your phone and have an external aerial socket?

Tom

Anonymous said...

So what did you get up with Takey Tezey? I tried to get into their blog and it's come up with 'restricted content' and wants to know whether I'm over 18!

I was was so chuffed to be asked (even if by a bunch of electronics) that I've decided not to admit my age, so their content will be forever a secret :-D

Best wishes to Sheila, who is undoubtedly too young to access restricted content :-)

Sue, nb Indigo Dream

Bruce in Sanity said...

Nev: I always try to tell it like it is. The old boaters never hesitated to use a line when needed, so we don't either!

Tom: I had, but I'd forgotten. Yes, the Europa has the same socket as the SII. There still only seem to be Aussie suppliers for that patch lead, unfortunately. I've suggested to Mark at BPC that he tries importing some from them, as they won't seemingly do retail sales outside Oz.

Sue: No, not really anything to do with TT, just emulating the Heth lifestyle ;)

Cheers

Bruce

Tom and Jan said...

Bruce,

If you want a connection cable I can arrange the purchase of one in Australia and have it posted to you

Tom

Bruce in Sanity said...

That's a kind offer, Tom, thanks. I'll see what response I get from BPC, then may well take you up on that; I'll email privately in due course.

Does the lead work well with the SII? I'm guessing it does.

Cheers

Bruce

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Bruce

It won't be an issue from our end should you want one from Oz. We have a SG1 rather than a SG2 however I suspect it's the same socket. Google may be your friend to confirm!

BTW, I'm getting one bar on the phone without the external aerial inside the boat and five bars with it.

Adrian (the wrgie) said...

Thanks for the useful tips about my new phone Tom and Bruce :D Maybe useful if I need to get better phone reception in the car/caravan/wrg accom etc :D