Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Non-stop through Braunston

Having pondered the forecast, which showed fairly good conditions this morning but marked deterioration this afternoon, we made a mighty effort to get up early and get away before eight. That is, I made a mighty effort to get up and Sheila made a mighty effort to get me up...

/wahaha

Up the three locks we went and onto the long pound through Braunston to Napton. Sheila steered whilst I lurked below, not entirely lazily, as I first cleaned out the washbasin drain (ugh) and then started a wash-load.

We've seen a lot more boats on the move since reaching this pound, some of them quite strange, like the weird black "stealth" boat that I believe was intended to be a large scale model of a South Pacific prau, but was never finished as it lacks the outrigger. Then there was the wide beam which turned up squeezing through a bridge just north of Braunston.

Sheila pointed out that he was on a narrow canal, but he explained he was just going as far as Barby to wind.

/hmm

I can understand the concern about opening yet more marinas round here. It's not all just established marina operators fearful of competition. If it's this busy on a wet Wednesday in March while we're still on GMT, what must it be like in high season?

1 comment:

  1. Wide beam to Barby? All I can say is look out for the stoppage notice when bridge 80 is demolished yet again!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy all sorts of comments, but please don't use the Anonymous option without at least signing your name at the end of the comment. It's nice to be able to reply to folks by name, and offensive anon comments will be deleted.