It didn't start raining here until after breakfast, but then made up for it in spades. We did have a break during lunch before it all started chucking it down again. Just a few boats have slogged soggily past; we couldn't help feel sorry for the two day boat parties. I do hope they managed to enjoy themselves despite the storm.
As planned, we sat tight and did stuff indoors. The internet connection got very slow for a time, but then of course microwaves are absorbed by water, that's how microwave ovens work, so, when on the margin of the range from a mast, heavy rain (and this was monsoon standard) can make all the difference.
I've finished the fender, though it fought back for a time. First off the spare piece of rope I'd joined on to finish it proved a foot too short, so it all had to be undone and a longer piece used. Then, when I came to do the final pull through of the end, it jammed somewhere inside and stoutly resisted for a while.
I should explain that you finish a half hitched fender by working a loop of nylon line in under the last few rows. Then you fix the rope end to the line and with a lot of tugging and heaving and some graduate standard cussing haul it through and cut it off.
No matter, it's done now and looks ok. Good enough for boating, anyway.
;)
We duly watched Ruddigore this afternoon. It's the one with Vincent Price and
Keith Michel and was very enjoyable if a bit over-produced as a film rather than a stage show. And no, neither of them can sing, really, but then neither could Rex Harrison and that didn't stop My Fair Lady being a major hit.
The forecast is for much less rain but a lot of wind tomorrow, so we may plead force majeure and overstay by a day here.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I enjoy all sorts of comments, but please don't use the Anonymous option without at least signing your name at the end of the comment. It's nice to be able to reply to folks by name, and offensive anon comments will be deleted.