21st & 22nd July
With no reason to get up early yesterday, naturally we both woke in good time. The first scheduled item of the day was the Village Walk, for which we needed to be in the car park of the George and Dragon at 10.45. The first half of the morning was therefore occupied in doing bits and pieces around the boat. In Sheila's case this was mainly crochet, whilst the most creative thing I managed was a short catch up post on the Building Sanity Again blog.
The fact that it had rained for the whole of this time, although it began to ease as we prepared to go out, emphasised the importance of carrying waterproofs, though it was warm enough to remain in shorts on the basis that bare legs dry faster than trousers.
With Will and Jane away on their summer cruise, the walk was led by Graham, who took around twenty of us on an ambitious route which was new to us and which took about two and a half hours to do just over seven miles.
It rained to a greater or lesser degree for most of the time, thus demonstrating the frailty of the old saw "rain by seven, dry by eleven". You could blame either global climate change or El NiƱo for this if you like.
Getting back to the pub at quarter past one meant that we were ready for a drink and a meal, though with our wedding anniversary to celebrate that evening we tried to refrain from over indulgence. This did not prevent it from being a very pleasant lunch, however, and it was gone half two when we left to return to Sanity.
Because there is no signal in the pub, I'd turned the mobile off and didn't bother to switch it back on until we were back on the boat. This proved to be a mistake, since, as soon as I had done so, a text message arrived to say I had a voicemail waiting.
The message proved to be from the physiotherapist to whom I had been referred for the shoulder pain which has been plaguing me ever since Knowle Locks. She was ringing to say that she was able to offer me an appointment at three o' clock as the result of a cancellation. When I'd finished playing the message it was five to three.
I'm able to tell you that with sufficient motivation you can make it from the Bowling Green mooring to the surgery in Exchange Road in seven minutes.
Fortunately, the clinic was running ten minutes late, so I was able to get my breath back and drink enough water to rinse much of the aroma of Marston's Pedigree out of my mouth before I was called in. I can also testify to the efficiency and competence of the physio, who proved to be the one who had cured Sheila's shoulder problem last year.
After a suitable recovery period on the boat, and a conversation with Tony and Chris of Louisiana II whom we last met three years ago on the Great Ouse, we set off back to the pub for our celebration meal.
The George and Dragon continues to hold its place in our regard as currently the best pub in Alrewas, both for the quality of the beer and food and for the pleasant atmosphere engendered by its friendly staff. It's also very reasonably priced; our two course meal with drinks cost just less than £40.
Having slept well last night (not surprising, really) we made a prompt start this morning. As I did the other day, I left Sheila with Sanity on the water point and nipped into the village to buy a paper and some meat from the butcher. We then boated back to Branston Water Park.
The cut is very busy this week, it now being peak season, and it's a shame that the weather continues rather dismal, especially when compared with the Mediterranean climate we had in June. Mind you, this can't be described as a recent phenomenon. Many of us recall the frustration of revising for and sitting exams in scorching June weather only to have it break up at the same time as school. It was sufficiently cold before lunch that we ran the Eberspacher for an hour to warm and dry out the inside of the boat.
It's been a quiet afternoon; we'll stay here at Branston tomorrow, despite the dodgy internet connection, and go on down to Shobnall on Friday.
1 comment:
Glad you had a happy Wedding Anniversary.
I have just caught up with your blog since the work pc was pinched. We now have bars on the windows which makes some people believe we need a sign saying "please do not feed the animals"
Shame I lost some work with it. But at least I got a nice quick pc out of it.
Post a Comment