Tuesday 25 September 2007

Back in Alrewas again

24th and 25th September

It had been a wild and wet night, and we weren’t in a hurry to go anywhere, so we made a lazy start. After breakfast I wandered round to the boatyard, but there was no sign of diesel being delivered. Knowing the way things work on the cut, we could be there all day. Back at the boat I dipped the tank, and found that we still had a third of a tank.

As a result we decided to go down to Alrewas anyway, and come back for fuel later in the week. This would mean that we could be sure of doing the Willy Walk tomorrow. For new readers, this is the weekly walk from the William IV pub in Alrewas every Tuesday morning, started by Will Chapman and Jane Howarth, but now self sustaining.

Accordingly, we watered on the Coventry arm, then set off down the flight. It was pretty busy, but we got to Alrewas just after 12, and had no trouble finding a mooring. Walking into the village to get a paper, whom should I meet but Jane Howarth. They are themselves just back from their annual three month cruise on Quidditch. They provide us with our official NHS address, so that we can use the excellent Alrewas surgery, and she had a couple of bits of post for me.

One of these proved to be the appointment for my diabetic review, a week on Tuesday. Since I have to get a blood test a week before, there was just time to set that up, which I did by going round to the surgery after lunch.

On my way back to the boat, I was hailed by Eileen Shone, owner of New Dawn, Braidbar 45. We had a chat, never having met before – Eileen had been in the surgery and heard me give my name to the receptionist when I booked my blood test.

Relaxing back on the boat, we were visited by Jane, who had been clearing stuff out of Quidditch, moored on the towpath behind us here. They moor Quidditch in Wychnor, but it’s easier to unload her here in Alrewas before putting her back on the mooring. We were able to introduce Jane to the joys of red bush (roibos) tea whilst she regaled us with tales of their trip.

After she’d gone, Sheila cut my hair. It was quite windy sitting on a stool out on the towpath for this operation, but at least it meant that the cut bits blew away.

Today it was a case of popping down to the surgery at 9 for the blood test, then meeting up at the William IV at 10.45 for the walk. It was quite a long one, and took two hours, so we were well ready for a couple of pints and a pub lunch on our return.

Elanor popped in to see us on her way back from work in Rugeley to home in Burton, then we had a sandwich meal (having eaten a cooked meal at lunchtime for once) and I did this blog.

No comments: