Sunday 8 June 2008

Summer in the village

7th & 8th June

Oh my word, but it's hot. Gosh, it's hot. Did I say it was hot? Well, it's hot. This could be a very short blog post, as I'm melting in here trying to type it. The sooner I finish it, the sooner I can get outside to sit in the cool breeze blowing up the towpath. Why ever was I rude about people who want air con on their boats?

Yesterday was nice, but not as hot as today, in fact it became cloudy, cool and damp as the day went on, and we felt quite disappointed, not knowing what the weather was going to be like today, i.e., hot.

In the morning, I finished the fat fender, and took all the old covering off the other one, rinsed it off and put it on the roof to dry out, which it has now done. First thing I'd gone to the shops and got some meat supplies from Coates the butcher, but managed to forget to get any bread, so before lunchtime I had to trog back, across the playing fields, turn left into Fox Lane and then right into Main Street.

It's not a bad walk, except when you have to keep doing it because you've forgotten stuff. It at least gave me an excuse to buy pasties the second time round.

After lunch Elanor rolled up and we all went to her house to inspect the new cat, Jocelyn, and to collect a new set of books from the store we keep there. Then we went back to the boat where I set to and cooked a lasagne for dinner. It was nearly ready when we heard a tooting from outside and looked out to see Granny Buttons going by.

We had a natter with Andrew, and then worked him down Bagnall Lock – he was planning to spend the night in Alrewas before heading back to Streethay.

Today we woke to another sunny morning, which then turned rather... all right, I'll shut up about it. I got a paper and stuff from the village, then Elanor and I had a session with her new computer. She's been having a bit of a problem sorting out her email sending since she went over to the 3 mobile deal, partly because 3 don't have their own SMTP server and partly because Vispa were being a touch useless yet again.

We got it all functioning, so she went off reasonably pleased with herself a lunchtime. Meantime, we'd had a chance of a chat with Graham and Jan on Huff 'n Puff - we met at the first Crick Show we all worked at, as we were showing our respective boats. They've continued to be involved with Fernwood, just as we have with Braidbar.

We've spent the afternoon doing not a lot, hiding in the cabin having a siesta some of the time, and sitting out on the towpath the rest – there is a bit of breeze now, so it's quite pleasant.

Tonight we go to see Will and Jane for a curry (seems very appropriate) and he and I will talk about SOW policies no doubt. Tomorrow we set off back up the Trent and Mersey, making for Great Haywood and the Staffs and Worcs.

That's all for now, it's too hot.

No comments: