Friday 4 July 2008

Life on camp II

2nd & 3rd July

These posts will be appearing 24 hours in arrears, because I don't want to break the alternate day rhythm of my posting, but it so happens that it's my turn to come back to the boat to run the engine in late afternoon on the intermediate days, so I'm composing this one on the 3rd, but I'll set it to appear on the 4th.

As I think I said last time, we are asked only to run the engine between 8.30 and 10.30 in the morning or 4.30 and 6.30 in the evening. Since Sanity needs a couple of hours running time every day, Sheila and I take it in turns to finish early, come back to the boat, run the engine and do any other stuff that needs doing, and get a shower.

There are showers available on site, and they are not at all bad, but Sanity's is just nicer to use.

Things are generally pretty organised now, the site taking shape for the weekend's festivities and the wrg camp functioning efficiently as ever. Both yesterday and today, I've been part of the sparks team, mostly pulling and heaving heavy great lumps of cable around (everything from 125 A 3-phase down to 16 A single phase for those interested in such stuff) whilst Sheila has been fencing – it's amazing just how much Heras fencing and crowd barrier you need to put up for an event like this.

Today we more or less finished the heavy stuff and started to run lines into the various locations requiring power. The traders and caterers have started arriving, so it's good to be able to connect them up as soon as they start asking for juice.

Last night we celebrated Adrian's birthday with a cake. I don't know how they do it, but wrg cooks are just brilliant at producing cakes to mark suitable occasions. They tend to be quite large, as the only cake tin available is usually a Grundy tray of the sort that you use for bulk baking, but with 20 or so of us having a go at it, it didn't look out of place. It'll keep appearing at tea and coffee breaks until it has all gone no doubt.

I'd love to post some photos of all this, but as I've said, the internet connection here is pretty iffy, and it's a fingers' crossed job just getting the text up, quite frankly. I'll try and take some photos over the next couple of days, and then put them up when I've got a decent connection again.

No comments: