Monday 7 February 2011

Windy Monday, but a better prospect

It's been another very windy day, but the forecast is for better tomorrow. We need to pump out the toilet tank, especially as Peter Mason is due to come over this week with the replacement sender for the gauge, so we'll do that first thing in the morning.

He's also bringing with him a new remote switch for the Hurricane heater, the display on the present one having gone out, and a new rev counter. Regular readers will recall that the original one suddenly decided to add 41,000 hours to the counter during the summer. It hasn't spoilt its usefulness, of course, I've just been ignoring the extra on the logs, but it would be a bit startling when the boat comes to be sold eventually.

In any event, it makes sense to get it fixed whilst the boat is still in warranty. We seem to be having a lot of electronic failures this time, but I don't think that there's a common factor; we've just been unlucky.

I won't bore you with a repetition of our doings today ;)

It is the downside of life in the marina that one day tends to be much like another when the weather is bad; I really don't know how folk cope with it for long periods of time. Spending the last few months in here was undoubtedly the right thing to do for us, especially when the frost and ice was about, but we shall be glad to off and away next month.

The continuing hassles of trying to get my pressures under control (both my eyes and my BP are being a bit stroppy at the moment) mean that we'll have to go back to Alrewas and Burton again in early March. It will be no more than a bit of a bore to amble down there again, before setting off for Norwood Junction for our date with a dry dock in early April, but it also makes me wonder how people cope with faux continuous cruising, plodding back and forth along the same stretch of canal all the time.

Each to his own, I guess, but gout wouldn't be in it for me if I had to do that all the time! (Subtle bilingual joke.)

One other thing I want to mention: I picked up from Maffi's blog today that those traders who also keep moving have set up their own website. The proposed changes to the BW Business Licence mean that a lot of them are facing significant rises in their costs, and they want to present a common profile in meetings. Hopefully, the site will also become a handy place to go for info about the various traders on the canal, and I wish them well with it.

No comments: