Monday 4 April 2011

Norbury a day early

Looking at the forecast, it was clear that this morning would be the last half decent boating conditions for a few days, so we decided not to stop at the Anchor at High Onn as we'd originally planned, but to carry on to Norbury Junction. Although not very windy, what there was, was very cooling, and I was glad that it was Sheila's turn to steer, whilst I busied myself down below with such essential tasks as keeping the stove well stoked.

We got here at about eleven, and tied on the first stretch of visitor moorings, both of us quite chilled and glad to get in the warm (I had taken over the steering for the last stretch through Grub Street cutting, in the cause of Sheila avoiding hypothermia.) No sooner we were all sorted, than I realised that neither the Vodafone nor the 3 signal were useable. Exploration showed that we just needed to move a bit nearer the bridge, which we've done.

This let me sort out a Waitrose order for delivery on Thursday, and to do a load of other web catching up, like filling in the NABO survey about costs of boating.

Catching up will be the theme of the rest of this blog, too:

First off, one   of SUCS's more entertaining signs, this at Coole Pilate:


The sign says "For use with disposable BBQ's supplied by Shropshire Union Canal Society". I don't think that's quite what they meant, but SUCS has a bit of form in this area. There's a WWII pill box on the exit from the towpath in Market Drayton that has a sign below it saying "Supplied by the Shropshire Union Canal Society". It's actually meant to refer to the picnic table in front of it, but does suggest that SUCS has been doing its civic duty for longer than anyone realised.

The farm at the top of Adderley flight has a little stall with an honesty box where you can buy eggs and cakes. As we got to the top, the farmer's wife was there replenishing it. She asked Sheila if she would like to buy any bacon or sausages, which they also supply if you ring them up. Sheila redirected her to me, explaining that I did all the cooking on board.

I couldn't hear this exchange, of course, as I was standing on the back with the engine running, so that the first thing I knew about it was this attractive blond woman walking up to me and asking if I would move in with her. It seems she hates cooking and her current feller doesn't oblige.

I thought about it for a moment, but decided that, at my age, it wouldn't be worth giving up living on the boat...

I did buy some eggs, bacon and sausages, though, in acknowledgement of what will probably be the best offer I'll get this year ;).

Coming back to today, we were passed by a bunch of four canoeists just by Knighton and the Shebdon embankment; we'd seen their canoes lying on the towpath as we set off this morning. Sheila had some quick conversation with them; apparently, they are canoeing round Wales. Presumably they'll go on down the Staffs and Worcs when they reach Autherley, onto the Severn at Stourport, and so out into the Bristol Channel and round the coast, reentering the canal system via the River Dee at Chester.

You've got to admire them, but they're quite mad, of course.

We'll spend tomorrow here on the VM, then go onto the dock on Wednesday morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, you paint a vivid picture of the women in your life - priceless!

Sue, nb Indigo Dream

Bruce in Sanity said...

Hi Paul

We use a 3 MiFi mobile wifi dongle, with a 1 Gb per month package for £9. 1 gig does us ok, but I have to watch the usage quite carefully not to have a nasty surprise at the end of the month.

My Vodafone contract lets me add data for £1 for 50 Mb in 24 hours, so I have that as a fall back if the 3 signal is no good.

I also have an O2 PAYG dongle, that I can use if we need a lot of extra data, say for doing a software update.

We mainly use the net for web browsing, blogging and email; we don't use Skype or watch YouTube or iPlayer very much or at all.

A discussion on the Braidbar Owners Group list last week seemed to indicate that a lot of people find 3 has the best coverage around the system, but they used a wide range of packages.

The best I've heard of was £7 for 15 Gb per month, but that was a customer retention deal from 3, and not available to a new subscriber.

I hope all this helps; do come back via the personal email link if you want to discuss your own situation in private!

Sue: We had some of the bacon and eggs in a spag carbonara last night; I may have made the wrong decision ;).

ATB

Bruce