Sunday 16 October 2011

What a nice day, mostly

Every year round about this time, I have the same thought. If I'd known I was going to live this long when I was twenty, I'd have taken better care of my body.

Probably. Too late now, anyway.

First off and before I forget, many thanks to Nev and Mike and Sue for your kind wishes; they are much appreciated. I shouldn't complain, really I shouldn't, I'm a very lucky guy and much better off in lots of ways than almost everyone else that's ever lived on the planet. I doubt if things will ever be as good again as they were for my generation…

Anyway, enough already, I'm sounding maudlin and I haven't even started drinking yet.

After opening presents this morning, we boated off to Shobnall and got a pump out, and I bought some Carnauba wax and boat wash. Peter at Shobnall very kindly pointed out that if I bought the two together in a pack, I'd save a fiver. That was really kind of him, considering that we'd made his Sunday by turning up asking for a pump out before he was even properly open.

(For reference, Shobnall does open on Sundays, but not till ten.)

Then it was tally ho back to Branston, stopping on the Burton side of the bridge this time. We're only here for the one night, and then on to Alrewas again.

I had a go at topping up the domestic batteries, but it's just too difficult. The first one is OK, more or less, but the rest are inaccessible. We knew that this was going to be a problem, as the battery bank is tucked away under the electric cupboard in order to make room for the Hurricane, which sits on the swim on the same side.

After the experience of building Sanity Again, Braidbar don't put a Hurricane in in the same way, but that's no help to us.

It's the penalty of being the innovator, I guess. The long term solution is going to have to be maintenance free batteries. The only way to service these ones would be to drag the whole bank out, and my heart failed at the thought today.

Later on, Elanor and Sally came over with their present for me. Actually, I don't think Sally had a lot to do with choosing it, but she looked on very cheerfully as I opened it.

We're not going anywhere special tonight; I'm saving that for when we're in Willington and I can visit the Dragon again.

5 comments:

KevinTOO said...

Hi Bruce,
Congratulations on 1001st... posting and your ??st Birthday!
Yes I'm one of the regulars too, and no I don't read drivel, that's why I'm still here :)
BTW I live in Derby so if you need anything collecting from the APC (or elsewhere locally) please don't hesitate to let me know, anytime.
Best wishes, Kevin

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce congrats for both occasions, i also read most days and really enjoy your ramblings, as foor the Dragon we ate there last night great as usual

Norwyn nb shellbell

Dogsontour by Greygal said...

And here's to many more posts and birthdays. You are my daily dose of lovely reassuring normality - as long as you get your paper:-)

Very best wishes

Greygal

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

How about an Auto filler or even mounting the batteries on a pull out base

Bruce in Sanity said...

Kevin: thanks, mate, I'll remember that. Since Elanor lives on the Derby side of Burton, it doesn't take that long for her to get there; it was having to get up in good time at the weekend that was the sacrifice on her part. Anytime you're near willington in the winter, give us a call and come and see us at Mercia, won't you.

Norwyn, Greygal: thanks for your good wishes, mind you if I'm normal, Greygal, what's the rest of your life like?

Oh yeah, the hounds and Ms Cook. OK, I'm normal ;)

Brian: good ideas. We tried to get an auto filler from PPb Batteries, but they only seem to do them for their own, deep discharge cells, silly of them.

I'm about to give that nice Mr Mason a call, and see if he can try again.

All the best one and all

Bruce