Wednesday 16 October 2013

That's another year I won't see again...


Today is my natal day; I am 8² year old. As a result, I’ve been taking it a bit easy, much reassured by Sheila’s assurance that she still loves me when I’m sixty four (thank you, Sir Paul).

The day didn’t start too well; we’d both woken at half six and snuggled down happily thinking of another hour’s kip or so when the shoreline went off with a clonk from the inverter/charger. This raised anxieties after last winter’s problems with the power bollard cutting out, of course.

In the event, when I gave up trying to get off again and went to make a cup of tea, I could see the light still on on top of the bollard; it was fine, we’d just run out of credit in the meter…

/floor

Since then, though, we’ve been doing well, especially thanks to Elanor’s help. Today we have:

  • Had breakfast in the Willow Tree;
  • Elanor gave me a lift over to the lodge with my tool box and drill and left me there to fix the fire extinguisher and fire blanket in their places;
  • Elanor and Sheila left me loafing about whilst they went shopping for rugby shirts from Cotton Trader at Findern Garden Centre and for stuff for lunch.
  • After lunch, they went off again to do some more lodge shopping whilst I pottered about in the boat and took a birthday call from my sister in New York.
  • Just as I was sitting down to do this blog, they got back and we all went over to unload the car.
  • Meanwhile, Jules has organised a service call for the washer dryer which doesn't dry (oh, Smeg!); the fitter is coming on Monday to look at it.

Sheila has bought some rump steak from Betty’s Farm for me to cook for tonight; we were going to walk into Willington to eat there, but the thought of walking back in the rain doesn’t appeal.

Tomorrow, Elanor will come over in the morning to cover in case Dunelm get round to delivering whilst we receive the Ocado order, then Sheila and I have a meeting in the lodge in the afternoon with Jules and Kath.

And yes, I know I’ve not put any photos up recently – I’ll try and get round to it, honest.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

So long as you do
Maple

nb Chance said...

Happy Birthday Bruce, Congratulations and hope you have a lovely day, Doug and James

Unknown said...

Sorry happy birthday from both of us
Maple

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Happy Birthday Bruce. Hope Shelia baked you a cake. Have a good evening.
Ian and Irene

Adam said...

Happy birthday, Bruce!

KevinTOO said...

Happy Birthday Bruce
Glad you had such a relaxing day... LOL
Kevin & Harry

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Bruce, love sharon and ian xxx and licks from Freckles!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Bruce!

Now, not being a natural mathematician, I read your original age as 82 - that seemed very unlikely! I got it in the end :-)

Sue, nb Indigo Dream

Dogsontour by Greygal said...

May you have much more paper and meat buying ahead of you - heartiest birthday wishes, Bruce!

Greygal

P.S.And Archie Beanz sends regards to Sally

Sue said...

Happy birthday!

I am glad the 'little' 2 showed as little!

Sue

Bruce in Sanity said...

Many thanks, all of you! It's good to have friends (so I'm told…)

Seriously, your good wishes are much appreciated. It was a very good but strange birthday, not least because I couldn't take it seriously in the run up, we were so busy with the lodge.

Now, back to getting our deliveries out of Dunelm; I'm going to have some severe remarks to make about their operation in due course!

All the best and make the most of this sunshine.

Bruce

PS Sally wants to come and stay with Archie because her humans have gone completely bonkers, no routine to them at all these days.

Woof!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday glad you had a nice one, hope sally saved you a caret. keith waters

heledd said...

Penblwydd Hapus Bruce! Hope you enjoyed your day! We're all off up to Llanberis next Friday ( for marathon eryri on Saturday!) so will send your love to North Wales! Heledd