Sunday 17 August 2014

Stormy Basin

The forecast's been pretty accurate today, with wind and then rain more suited to the equinox than mid-August. It blew so hard overnight that the mint pot fell over, as a result of which we've lost the saucer from under it.

Despite carefully positioning the front fender so that it wouldn't catch under the coping, the fender hook snapped anyway as a boat blew past, making three gone in 24 hours. On the upside, the IWPS (now Bugsworth Basin Heritage Trust) shop happily swapped the two I'd bought yesterday; I bought a third one to replace today's casualty. The new ones are made of thick plywood, so should last better than the poly ones.

I've finished the second fender; I'm very pleased with it, one of my best ever, I reckon. I've certainly got enough rope to do a third, but may not manage a fourth.

The forecast for tomorrow is much drier but still very windy. These moorings are 48 hours but can be extended by arrangement with the IWPS. You make a donation (“most people give £5 per night”) and get a card to put in the window or porthole. We've done just this so as to stay until Tuesday.

We'd been going to go to Tesco today but have postponed that until tomorrow.

No comments: