Friday 17 May 2019

A change to the advertised programme

I’ve been having a few months of back pain, responding to paracetamol and exercise but not going away. At diabetic review a couple of months ago, my Hba1c (the measure of long term blood glucose control) had jumped from 6.5 to 7.5 so I started on metformin with the usual gut disturbances. They settled but I started having gut pain as well. When my skin turned yellow, we realised that things were serious. 

I had a CT scan and a fancy gastroscopy to check out the bile duct and the conclusion at case conference afterwards was that the mass in my pancreas is almost certainly a tumour. It’s already involved some blood vessels, so is non-operable. The plan was to get final confirmation of the diagnosis from an endoscopic ultrasound with fine needle aspiration for cytology. The brush cell collection done during the previous gastroscopy was inconclusive so they want to be absolutely sure which variety of tumour it is before starting chemo, probably the latest 3 cytotoxics variant (Folfirinox) as I’m reasonably fit and should be able to handle at least a few cycles. Unfortunately the FNA sample was inadequate too, so it’s going to be repeated next week.

I have at least recovered from the jaundice – my liver is not damaged, just knocked out of kilter by the bile duct being blocked by the tumour. The duct’s been dilated and a stent put in to keep it open. It has now recovered completely. I’ve had a first meeting with a consultant oncologist and been prescribed oral morphine to use alongside the paracetamol for pain control and a wonderful preparation called Creon. These are capsules containing the digestive enzymes that my pancreas is no longer producing. You take them with every meal so as to get the benefit from the food. I’ve lost quite a bit of weight but should actually put some back on now.

Hopefully, the chemo will halt tumour progression and maybe even shrink the beast but nonetheless this is not a good diagnosis. Can’t yet estimate likely survival, but it doesn’t look like Sheila and I will be celebrating our golden wedding in two year’s time though it might just happen yet. The challenge is to stay positive without going into denial of my plight. Things have moved on a lot over the last couple of years when pancreas cancer was called the death sentence diagnosis and survival was measured in a very few months.

We’re all still coming to terms with it, of course, our lives have been suddenly turned upside down. Any boating we do will be short trips fitted in amongst clinic and chemo appointments. I’ll use this blog to publish any further developments as they occur.

7 comments:

KevinTOO said...

So sorry to hear your news Bruce. All the best for your treatment.

Nev Wells said...

Hi Bruce, not a lot of useful words to put down, other than your calm outlook is seriously impressive. I'll be holding you and Sheila in my thoughts. Take extra care

Bruce in Sanity said...

Thanks, both, it’s good to feel the love at times like this!

All the best

Bruce

Ann Street said...

Oh Bruce, I am SO sorry to hear your news - I have often wondered what you were up to as I missed your blog. Words seem so inadequate but I will have everything crossed for you and Sheila and as you say, things have improved in medical science and I hope your future is brighter than it appears to you at the moment.
Take care and as Dave Allen used to say "may your God go with you".
Ann

Bruce in Sanity said...

Thanks, Ann, it’s good to have the support from so many friends!

All the best

Bruce

Bungle said...

I think the only thing I can add is "Oh Bugger"..... Mels dad had pancreas cancer about 8 years ago but it was (just) operable. Hope the treatment goes OK.

Bruce in Sanity said...

Thanks, Bungle. Survived yesterday’s repeat endoscopic ultrasound, now keeping fingers crossed it actually captured a useable biopsy sample. Won’t know the result until Tuesday week, though.

All the best

Bruce