Monday 30 December 2013

Back again

Since my last proper post: sorted the lodge after the last tenants (we took our time, three days to do what the cleaning team manage in four hours), survived Christmas, made a huge pot of soup from the remains of the turkey and beef. (The beef was scrumptious, by the way.)

As often at this time of year, I'm worried that this blog is getting too samey, id est: got up, bought the paper, dozed off, et cetera et cetera et cetera*. So I'm going to try to do better and make it a bit more unusual until we get cruising again.

Sal's helped with this resolution this time. Elanor and I took her for a game of copse and rompers the other day and she invented a new sport namely "tree branch jumping". This involves leaping up at a horizontal branch about a metre and a half above the ground, grabbing it in her mouth and pulling it down to ground level to chew. Of course, it springs back up again and has to be jumped for once more:



The photos aren't very good, I know, I was using my phone in poor light. Also, because of the time taken to stop laughing, get the phone out and so on, I missed the best bit at the start when she was standing bolt upright on her hind legs, forepaws neatly folded in front of her and doing airs above the ground to catch the branch.

I should add that when I asked Sally what it was all about, she sighed mightily at the stupidity of some humans and explained that this is only the training phase. The real sport is to chase a squirrel onto the branch then, just when it thinks it's safe, leap up, pull the branch down and let go, flinging the squirrel into the air.

Bonus points are awarded if you catch the squirrel in your mouth on the way down…

/wahaha

*these last six words are a quote from a Yul Brynner character, but which and in which film?

2 comments:

KevinTOO said...

Hi Bruce & Sheila,

Glad to read you had a good Christmas:)

The quote is from "The King & I" 1956 (Released 1959 in the UK), a musical about a widow who accepts a job as a live-in governess of the King of Siam's children.
Director:Walter Lang
Writers:Ernest Lehman (screenplay), Oscar Hammerstein II (book)
Stars:Yul Brynner, Deborah Kerr, Rita Moreno

King: When I sit, you sit. When I kneel, you kneel. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera!

Happy New Year,
Kevin

Bruce in Sanity said...

Spot on that man!

Have a good 2014, won't you.

All the best

Bruce