Thursday 24 April 2014

Sometimes the NHS is great

... especially in Derby. Sheila had to see the GP today about her chronically painful toe, a sequela of an injury to it many years ago. No surprise, GP wants an X-ray and gives her a form to take to the Royal Derby. Only thing is, we want to start boating on Monday and there may be a wait before she can get an appointment. What's more, the referral form only has a limited life.

So Sheila rings the booking number and explains. No problem, they can see her at half two this afternoon. So we catch the 1.25, change in Littleover to the hospital shuttle bus and arrive in the X-ray department at two. She's called in at 2.15 and we're on the next shuttle into the city centre by 2.20.

A bit of rapid shopping and we caught the three o'clock back. By half three, we're sitting on a bench outside the Still Waters shop eating ice cream.

While Sheila was in the village, I washed another mooring line and collected some tumble drying; it's been a very satisfactory day.

Tomorrow, we're Sally sitting overnight so that Elanor can have a night out with her work colleagues. Elanor and Sheila plan to drive over to Great Haywood plant shopping on Saturday, then we'll have Sunday to ready the boat for a two month cruise.

What about the X-Ray result? That will be available in about a week, but no need to go into the surgery; Sheila can have a phone consultation with the GP to discuss what to do next.

3 comments:

Ann Street said...

Good service from the NHS but perhaps not as good as we get here :-) If the doc thinks I need an Xray, he fills in a form, gives it to me and I take it to the hospital either then or soon. I then phone the doc for the result 4 days later. I am very impressed with this "together" working as I know it can take ages to get a hospital appointment for anything else :-)

Dave Mckenna said...

Hi Bruce & Shelia. Not sure if your remember me. I met you last Summer while you was moored at Stockton heath. Hope your well. I was up at Mercia today looking at a couple of the brokerage boats. I saw Sanity Again moored up. Then whilst having a cuppa at the Willow tree I saw you getting off the boat but couldn't see were you went to...only now reading the blog I seen you was going into Derby. Pitty I didn't see you would of been nice to say hello. And I headed into Derby from there so could have given you a lift. Never mind may be back Sat to have a 2nd viewing of a boat..

Bruce in Sanity said...

Hi both

Ann: sounds even better - what will it be like after independence? The SHS I guess :)

Dave: good to hear from you again and sorry we missed you. Good luck with the boat, we'll keep an eye out for you on Saturday.

All the best

Bruce