Monday 13 October 2014

What a weekend

I was quite right; I didn't have either the time or the energy to blog during the weekend, but it was nonetheless a well worthwhile effort, I reckon. The weather meant that we had a slow start on both days, with clammy fog obscuring much of the marina. We'd put lots of layers on, but still felt quite chilly.

In particular, Sheila had had the sense to wear her walking boots, whereas I'd stuck to my usual shoes. Standing around meant that the cold crept insidiously up through my feet and into my lower legs. When I went for lunch I changed my hoodie for a guernsey and put my boots on to go back.

Elanor came across with some supplies (cheap chicken and a slab of Banks's Barley Gold for her mother) and took a turn on the stand so that Sheila and I could go for lunch. In addition to ourselves, we had Tony and Margaret from Rowan and Brian and Bev from Fir Tree helping.

It was just as well, as once the sun came out and folk started turning up in droves we were kept very busy. There were a lot of people interested enough to justify taking them across to look through our lodges, so having several bodies available was essential.

It all started slowing down by half four or so and we shut up shop at five on the Saturday. Back at the boat, we suddenly became aware of how tired we were. I'd had the foresight to have a meal plan which didn't take much effort: the cheap chicken fillets and a jar of curry sauce, basically.

Sunday was another slow and foggy start. The sun didn't break through until nearly lunchtime, so things were very quiet indeed for a long time. However, once it warmed up so did business and we had another brisk afternoon, tailing off a bit earlier.

Throughout the weekend, there was at least as much interest in the final two plots available for lodges in the main development as in renting, so I would be quite hopeful that they will go sooner rather than later. This is all to the good from our point of view, as there are a couple of pits with the service mains in them right in front of Walnut which won't be filled in until those two lodges are sited.

It certainly looked like the visitors were having a good time; the Boardwalk itself was thronged both afternoons and the various shops and cafes all reported good business.

We've taken it very easy today; Sheila was supposed to have a WeBS walk first thing, but it was cancelled in view of the poor weather forecast, much to her relief. A lot of reading and web browsing has gone on, though I did stir myself to update and upload the Pub Guide.

Two final things: first off, hi to blog reader Mandy, it's always good to meet a follower!

Finally, I'm typing this with the aid of the Logitech K760 solar powered keyboard, bluetoothed to the iPad. I note that I've written rather more than I've been doing recently as a result. The solar powered bit means no need to recharge batteries, hooray, and I can heartily recommend this piece of kit.

No comments: