Monday 28 August 2017

Bombarded by Cyril the Squirrel

We've not been completely idle in the last few days, but neither have we been flogging ourselves to death. On Saturday we walked down to Poynton to get my repeat prescription made up and to buy some nice bread from Waitrose. This wasn't a wholly successful endeavour as the pharmacy was having a bad hair day with its IT and the delay for my meds was going to be of the order of an hour.

Things looked up when we came out of there, though, as we bumped into Beryl of Priscilla II who offered us a lift back up the hill. So we nipped round Waitrose, stocking up on good chocolate as well as bread and had ourselves driven back to the yard. In the afternoon, I left Sheila looking after the boat whilst the washing machine was on and walked back down. They had nearly all my meds – the last two items will be in on Tuesday when we’d want to go back for more bread anyway.

Ex abundantia cautelae, as the lawyers say, or used to, I walked up to the bus stop by the Co-op to be sure of catching one. Last year, the bus didn't pass the stop immediately outside Waitrose so I wasn't taking any chances. However, it came from that direction this time, which will be very handy on Tuesday.

Yesterday was a day for watching the world go by on an amazingly sunny Bank Holiday Sunday. I washed the bow of the boat and polished the bow flashes and the gas locker lid with Bullet spray. It doesn't put anything like as much wax on as the Craftmaster but is ok for a quick shine, I suppose. Otherwise we spent the day chatting to towpath walkers and drinking coffee and soda outside the Trading Post.

This morning was another lazy start, enlivened by the sound of stuff dropping onto the roof at half six. Looking up through the Houdini as I lay in bed, I could see a squirrel hopping about in the branches of the huge hawthorn tree alongside. He was scoffing the ripe haws and dropping the dried out ones onto us.

Ah well, it’s better than having pigeons up there dropping other stuff on the roof…

Task for today: wash and polish the well deck bulkheads.

Location:Higher Poynton

1 comment:

Ann Street said...

We were at the IWA festival at the weekend and were moored outside One Day. We should have been on the inside but as they were there before us and as we planned to leave early on Sunday it made sense for us to be on the outside and they kindly said they didn't mind the dogs crossing their boat. We initially thought of the bows but with my dodge knee I didn't think I could manage the steps up and down
They had moved the geraniums for us too. I taught the dogs to jump from stern to stern and put down the dogs towel to protect their boat
It worked fine
We enjoyed meeting the couple on board who did tell me their names but I didn't quite catch what he said