Monday 14 August 2017

Spending a day in Congleton

We've had a pretty laid back day but reasonably successful. After a very relaxed start, we waited for the rain to stop and then walked down into town again. Sheila had done some Googling for butchers and we found one tucked away round the back of the high street. Sheila was also looking for a hairdresser to get a trim, but most were closed on Mondays. However, she spotted one in the High Street and was able to get an appointment for later in the morning.

Next stop was Morrisons where we finished our restocking shopping, including some white fish and prawns so that I can make a fish curry tonight, one I found on-line from Kerala called mappas. I then headed back to the boat on my own, carrying the perishable stuff whilst Sheila killed a bit of time before her hair appointment.

I put the last bit of morning to good use by cancelling the T-mobile contract we’ve had since 2011. It was good value at the time, using a Huawei modem that takes an external aerial, but these days we usually manage to find either a 3 or a Vodafone signal wherever we are. If we can’t, there’s usually no EE signal either. It means that we’ve been paying £10 per month for a Gb of data we’re not using. I had to ring customer services to cancel it, but it didn't prove too much of a hassle to persuade the nice guy on the other end (in the North East of England from his accent) that he couldn't sell me anything else.

I still have the all-you-can-eat deal from 3, including tethering, so that’s the default option. If I need to, Vodafone costs £6 for an extra Gb, so still cheaper than the T-mobile deal. We have both the 3 and Vodafone SIMs in iPhones with the Personal Hotspot option, meaning you can move the phone around to find the best signal.

Sheila got back just in time for lunch and we’ve had a quiet afternoon. The only other excitement was going on-line to rearrange my Eye Clinic appointment for September as we won’t be back in time for me to keep it.

Tomorrow, we’ll just move on to the Aqueduct as this is a 48 hour mooring.



Location:Congleton

No comments: