Wednesday 13 March 2013

Dog to dog blog: What's up?

Hi guys

Us dogs like to do things the same every time; "routine is reassuring" is the motto, and the same is supposed to be true for ageing humans. So why am I visiting the boat on a Wednesday, for heaven's sake? I don't know, one week Tuesday, another Thursday, occasional Saturdays and now Wednesdays.

Mum had a meeting with a man, she said, but she didn't look too excited about it, so I don't think a new uncle is about to come into my life. That's one thing to be grateful for anyway, there's barely enough room for me and the cat on the bed as it is.

Never mind, make the best of it is my motto and we did get in a decent walk to the nearest lock. Still a bit of a swizz, mind you. This lock has a cafe on the other side of it, loads of interesting and hopeful niffs coming from it, but when we got there we just sat on a bench on the towpath side and looked at it.

When Mum takes me to the lock near our house, we usually have a bit of fun helping boats through it and I get to show off walking back and forth over the top gate, but not this time. Back we plodded after the AGPs had got their breath back.

The only fun was a young saluki coming the other way. He wasn't on a lead, and the AGPs promptly sat down on another bench to watch, with me made to sit beside them. No problem there. This pooch was very nervous and stopped dead peering at me whilst I gave him the death glare as if I was sizing him up for mayhem.

I mean not that I ever actually indulge in said mayhem, of course – I've never bitten a dog or a human in my life that I can recall – but the glare is pretty impressive, what with my orange eyebrows and all. You do know what they say about dogs with orange eyebrows, don't you?

You don't? That's a pity, I keep hoping someone will tell me.

Anyway, this saluki stops dead and quivers. Its humans encourage it forward so it starts tip-toeing past. Just as it came level, I let go with a mega WOOF! and it scuttled back the other way.

Laugh? I would have except now Grandpa had fixed me with a death glare and was telling me off in no uncertain terms.

MANNERS! he said and made me sit quite still whilst the pooch scuttles by. I then gave a couple of cheerful little barks to see if it wanted to play. I think it did, really, but by now both sets of humans were marching us in opposite directions.

No fun at all, some people.

The rest of the day has been pretty routine; kip, carrot for lunch, kip, walk round the marina, kip. It's still pretty cold, so I'm wearing my best heavy coat all the time.

Maybe things will be warmer next week whenever I come back here again.

Loads of licks

Your friend

Sally

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what they say about dogs with orange eyebrows (AGP and I read the same books!) - one escaped from her cat boot at Pets at Home the other day just so that she could run over and snap at Ollie's face - no harm done luckily!

However, I'm sure you're the exception and would be a perfect laydee if I introduced you to my boys :-)

Sue, nb Indigo Dream